Chief County Assessment Office
Property Tax Relief
Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Exemption
This exemption freezes the taxable assessment on your property, but does not freeze the tax rate. If eligible, this exemption may be claimed in addition to the Owner Occupied General Exemption, Home Improvement Exemption, and the Senior Homestead Exemption. The actual taxes which you pay may continue to change based on the amounts levied by the taxing bodies where you reside (School District, Sanitary District, County, City, Township, etc.,) The filing deadline for this exemption is July 1st of each year.
To receive this exemption, you must:
- Have owned and occupied the property on January 1st for two (2) consecutive years.
- Have reached the age of 65 during the assessment year.
- Have signed up for the Senior Homestead Exemption.
- Have a maximum gross household income of $55,000. (Gross household income includes all persons using the property as their principal dwelling on January 1st of the assessment year).
- Obtain an application for the exemption at the Chief County Assessors Office, from your Township Assessors, or click here to download the application.
NOTE: This exemption must be renewed annually.
Your completed application must be notarized and returned to:
Chief County Assessors Office
1504 Third Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
Back to top